day one

day one
My name is Jo Nasvik and The Missoula Dress Project is a one-month performance art piece as part of my BFA thesis. As an artist I am interested in the intersection of street art, performance art, and drawing. During the month of February I have committed to wearing this wedding gown daily and will be sewing and pinning onto the dress the evidence of my consumption. Such as coffee cups, wrappers, plastic bags, paper scraps, aluminum cans.....and so on. It is important to me that my art has cultural meaning, so I chose a wedding dress to indicate the excessive "marriage" between consumers and industry.


Thursday, March 1, 2012







The End
 There are things that I am finally allowing myself to realize now that I am done with this piece. Such as....I have been unable to relate to anyone else for the entire month...everyone else has been unable to relate to me. This idea, project, and myself, became one and everything else seemed pretty far away. That being said, I want to apologize to those that I love, for being absent as a friend, daughter, sister, granddaughter, aunt, niece, cousin, and babysitter. Having spent nearly thirty days in this performance, I would hope that energy and commitment has been paid off. I am now granting myself time to get caught up with the rest of us. I may not throw away much, but I will not be sewing it on to myself......for at least a week. HAH! but seriously....I've been as loud as I can and now I need to just sit back and listen....what a weird month.

No comments:

Post a Comment