day one

day one
My name is Jo Nasvik and The Missoula Dress Project is a one-month performance art piece as part of my BFA thesis. As an artist I am interested in the intersection of street art, performance art, and drawing. During the month of February I have committed to wearing this wedding gown daily and will be sewing and pinning onto the dress the evidence of my consumption. Such as coffee cups, wrappers, plastic bags, paper scraps, aluminum cans.....and so on. It is important to me that my art has cultural meaning, so I chose a wedding dress to indicate the excessive "marriage" between consumers and industry.


Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 24
 Is it so bizarre that I have found myself to be more confident in a wedding dress made of trash than I ever did in my plain t shirt and jeans? Thinking about life after this project is a bit intimidating. I have become to feel so comfortable with myself when I am wearing the dress. Its an honesty that I seem to not be able to communicate in any other outfits. What do our clothes really have to do with our interactions with others?  I hope that I can take this strange confidence with me when the dress comes off and stays off...It has been really good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment